Green Improvement Fund (GIF)
**The GIF application period is now CLOSED as of December 16, 2016. Please visit this page in the spring for 2017 information.**
The purpose of Onondaga County’s Green Improvement Fund (GIF) is to support the development of green infrastructure and stormwater mitigation techniques on private property. Eligible property owners can apply to receive financial incentives for the installation of Green Infrastructure (GI) Technologies, including but not limited to:
|• Rain gardens
• Dry wells
• Underground infiltration systems
|• Green roofs
• Porous pavement
• Tree plantings
• Tree trenches
|• Planter boxes
• Cistern systems
• Added green space
Grant funding is made available only for project features associated with the installation of green infrastructure solutions and elements of the project that are needed to mitigate stormwater runoff.
GIF grant funding offers assistance to applicants installing GI technologies as an aspect of the development, redevelopment, and/or retrofitting of certain classes of privately owned properties (commercial, business, and not-for-profit owned properties) in specific geographical locations within the Clinton, Harbor Brook* and Midland Combined Sewersheds (CSS), as outlined in the Green Improvement Fund Program Boundary Map, and located in select areas within the City of Syracuse.
*Properties located in Harbor Brook sewersheds 015, 017, and 078 are restricted to $200,000 maximum award per applicant, and subject to an aggregate budget limit of $600,000 in total. Properly completed applications will be processed in the order they are received, and once the $600,000 has been awarded, no other applications will be considered in this application cycle.
The GIF program award process consists of the following seven steps:
- Grant applicants will complete and submit application form.
- Application will be reviewed by GIF Committee for consideration of eligibility and funding recommendation. Recommendations are made to Onondaga County based on the amount capture volume associated with each project. Determination of project eligibility and funding levels rest solely with Onondaga County whose decisions shall be final.
- Onondaga County will notify applicant whether or not the project is deemed eligible, and if so, award amount.
- Applicant and County will enter into formal contract agreement for reimbursement.
- Applicant will complete project as outlined in contract terms.
- Upon completion of construction, Onondaga County will review project to ensure installation of green infrastructure as specified in contract terms and issue a certificate of completion.
- Applicant shall submit copy of certificate of completion and completed claim form, provided by the County, and receive a one-time lump sum payment.
Since its inception, GIF has provided nearly $9 million in funding to local green infrastructure projects on private property. The 79 projects completed to date capture more than 38 million gallons of stormwater runoff each year in the City of Syracuse. Click here for a list of GIF Projects, including site photos, project descriptions, and information sheets.
Program application and additional resources:
• GIF Program Description & Application (to be revised Spring 2017)
• GIF Project Calculator (Excel file .xlsx) for Applicants (to be revised Spring 2017)
• GIF Program Boundary Map (to be revised Spring 2017)