Green Improvement Fund
Onondaga County is revising the GIF Program eligibility boundary in order to target areas most in need of stormwater management solutions. There is a tremendous amount of change at this time and therefore effective March 15, 2013, Onondaga County is suspending acceptance of new GIF project applications for a period of 90 days.
GIF projects that have already been awarded funding will not be affected by these changes to the program. If you have submitted an application, but funding has not yet been awarded, you and the property owner applicant will be contacted directly.
A public meeting will be held in the coming months to discuss the GIF program and this transition. Date and time TBA.
We look forward to resuming GIF application review in June 2013! Thank you for your patience at this time.
The purpose of the County’s Green Improvement Fund (GIF) is to support the development of green infrastructure and stormwater mitigation techniques on private property projects. Eligible property owners in the Clinton, Midland and Harbor Brook sewer districts can apply to receive grant funding.
Grant funding will ONLY cover features associated with the installation of green infrastructure solutions and elements of the project that are needed to mitigate stormwater runoff.
Effective August 1, 2012 the Green Improvement Fund implemented new program modifications. The modifications are part of ongoing efforts to improve program efficiency and provide an opportunity to continue to fund private property projects in a manner and rate that is more sustainable.
A complete list of program modifications can be found here:
Upon receipt and review of completed applications, the Green Improvement Fund committee will make recommendations to Onondaga County on project eligibility and funding levels based on the amount capture volume associated with each project. Determination of project eligibility and funding levels rest solely with Onondaga County whose decisions shall be final.
The GIF program award process will consist of the following steps:
- Grant applicants will complete and submit application form.
- Application will be reviewed by GIF Committee for consideration of eligibility and funding recommendation
- Onondaga County will notify applicant, within 60 days of receipt of application, whether or not the project is deemed eligible, and if so, award amount.
- Applicant and County will enter into formal contract agreement for reimbursement
- Applicant will complete project as outlined in contract terms.
- Upon completion of construction, Onondaga County will review project to ensure installation of green infrastructure as specified in contract terms and issue a certificate of completion.
- Applicant shall submit copy of certificate of completion and completed claim form, provided by the County, and receive a one-time lump sum payment.
Download the GIF Program Boundary Map (PDF) (Updated March 2013)
To ask a question about the Green Improvement Fund, use the contact form below: